Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Break: The Beginnings

-BOOM BOOM- "Everyone, RUN!" -insert screams here- "It's gaining on us!" -fade to black
[Voiceover: They thought it would be a normal Spring Break Vacation, little did they know what they were really getting into. Jereality, Mother, Sibling and Liz on a drive from Jersey to Alabama... this, this is their story]

At nine o'clock Saturday morning, March 14th, Mother came to my room and woke me up. It was time to get the rental van. The rental van is a 2009 Town and Country, I think and it's got all kinds of bells and whistles and such... to the point Sibling and Liz don't even have to open the doors manually, they just have to click a button also... Satalite radio, which is sort of fun to play with when I'm not making everyone listen to my iPod. Anyway, we all piled into the van after packing everything. The contents of our Rent-A-Van include a leather computer bag which stores my life, my clothes bag, Liz's clothes bag, Mother's clothes bag, Sibling's clothes bag, a large cooler, a small cooler... Also, Mother's got a purse, Sibling's got a purse and I have another amazing computer bag with a little robot on it.

After we piled in we drove a few minutes to get to Father's place of work where we received from him four turkey sandwiches and a container of brownies. We said our good byes, and on the adventure we began. We drove through south, through New Jersey on various versions of I-85, through Delaware, AROUND Washington DC because it's painful to navigate there, then Maryland, Virginia, a little bit of West Virginia I think, and then through North and South Carolina.

Meanwhile, it's raining buckets and we're on a major artery, all around people who think they're the only ones on the road. It was crazy. I had to turn up the volume and stuff on the radio so we (Mother and I) could stay awake, because by this time it was 3 in the morning and we had been driving for 12 hours.

So, when we get into Georgia we decided we'd stay at some hotel for the night. We did, which was great because we all needed proper sleep since one of my favorite quotes from the ride is [Me: "Hey!";;; Mother: "I was just resting them!"]

We got to the hotel there, and Liz and I are all giggly because it is now four thirty in the morning and that's what happens when we stay up all day. Except Liz and Sibling slept the whole ride.... Liz also got up at one in the afternoon... Regardless, we were all quite sleepy. So, we got all of our things and made our way up to our room in a hotel that looked like the inside of a bee hive. I swear, I thought the Queen Bee would pop out of a room and start shooing away little copies...

This morning, around 9 in the morning again, Mother woke me up... It was time for breakfast. I had steak and eggs. It was delicious. After that, we had some drama checking out of the hotel and getting our vehicle out of the mandatory valet parking. After all of that happened, we restocked our vehicle with all of our belongings and drove some more - we were on the road by one. From Georgia we went straight for Alabama. Which was great. By 6 we were in Alabama near our hotel area.

Cool thing that happened at one of the stop lights here... A car pulled up next to us, and our windows are rolled down because the weather in Alabama is awesome, and a woman goes "Hey, ya'll just drive down from New Jersey?" and we were all "yeah!" and we had an entire conversation for a good three hundred feet after the light turned green, going the same speed about where we were going. It was very nice, quite hospitable.

Finally, we found our hotel... it's right before a place called Souvenir City... The fireman we asked said if we passed that, we'd gone too far.... He was right. So, we all got into our hotel... it's the smallest hotel in the line of hotels along the beach. Also, it's pink. Also, I have to share a bed. I'm not good with sharing. Whatever, at least I'm here, and having an awesome time so far.

After we dumped our stuff into the room, we decided to ask our concierge front-desk man to see what we should do about food for dinner. He sent us to a place called Calypso Joe's , so, we went there. It was muggy out, a little, so we sat outside because inside would have bee even worse. Especially since it's Spring Break everywhere and the stupid people are out to play. Especially the people with children who have no control over them. The parental advising pretty much went like this:
Parent: Sit down, or else!
Child: Hmm...
Parent: Hmm, Sit down.
Child: Hmm, No.

and

Something that pretty much went along the basis of if you don't come here now, I'm going to call you to come here again. It was ridiculous. I'm kind of upset that I'm not young enough to act the way I do in front of the parents who let their children run a muck. Anyway, dinner was great... I had steak again. I'm big into meat.

Later, we contemplated dining and ditching (we didn't) and then came back to the hotel and grabbed some brochures for the following couple of days before we move along to Louisiana.


So, at the moment, it is eleven:eleven in Alabama at home, it is 12:11 ... I should be getting some sleep tomorrow. We're going to the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo tomorrow - it's pretty much the thing that sparked the vacation, then it just kind of morphed into this big amazing fun time happy adventure.

More to come at a later date. Now, for some pictures!







No comments: