Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

I know somewhere in all of my blogging history - which goes into several Xangas, and various other outlets for writing what I wanted - I said something fantastic about Thanksgiving Day. I don't remember for the life of me where it is, or what exactly was so fantastic about it. However, I will tell you my thoughts on the subject once more....

Thanksgiving:
Okay, just so we're clear, the day of Thanksgiving was created by Abraham Lincoln. 'During his presidency Lincoln declared days of Thanksgiving whenever he felt the Union needed unity. The dates of varied from year to year and every President after declared thanksgiving at different times until 1941 when congress decided to make the 4th Thursday of November the day of Thanksgiving.' Interesting, I know.

The day, the actual 'first Thanksgiving' with the Pilgrims and the Native Americans... It was not the picture perfect painting in the textbooks, or the holiday specials on the television. I highly doubt there were Native American smiles, and happiness between both parties. Would you like to know why? I'm going to tell you anyway. The day is based on the victorious overthrow of a group of people who did not have as an advanced grasp on weaponry as the Pilgrims. It's about defeating a group of people who, with the best of their ability, were unable to protect themselves from shottily made guns.

So, why you're enjoying your turkeys and your mashed potatoes and green bean casseroles, think about what actually happened that day. And when you're done with your lavish meals, go out and find a Native American and apologize.

That's all I have to say about that.

-Jereality

No comments: